Laboratory Technical Assistant (2 positions available)
Full-time employment for one full year, from early June to end of June
Abbott Northwestern Hospital and the Allina Central Laboratory
Monday – Friday; rotating shifts between the hours of 6:00 am – 10:00 pm
The laboratory technical assistant (Lab TA) will perform pre-analytical processes in one or more areas, such as histology, microbiology, and the core laboratory. The Lab TA will collaborate with certified staff and pathologists in confirming & troubleshooting specimen labeling/collection requirements, computer orders and performing accurate and timely surgical sample preparation/staining techniques. The position may also perform tests determined by the CDC and FDA to have little risk of error, commonly known as waived testing.
At least 3 months lab training is required in each specialty lab area (Histology, Core lab, or Microbiology) in which highly complex testing is to be performed.
- Perform routine pre-analytic laboratory procedures
- Evaluates acceptability of specimens.
- Processes specimens as required.
- Performs routine problem resolution related to orders, specimens, and billing. Works closely with certified staff and pathologists in confirming and troubleshooting specimen labeling/collection requirements, computer orders, and performing accurate and timely surgical sample preparation/staining techniques.
- May perform waived testing.
- Ensures patient orders are accurate and complete
- Performs scheduling, ordering and releasing in patients’ electronic medical record.
- Evaluates patient orders for completeness and follows up as needed.
- Administrative duties.
- Stocks, rotates, and requests supplies on a regular basis.
- Trouble-shoots minor equipment issues.
- Performs various clerical duties. ○ May train others in assigned work area.
- May assist with standard operating procedure development in assigned work area.
- Participates in departmental or system wide projects or committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
Prerequisites and required skills:
- High School or GED
- Required college coursework of 60 semester hours, or equivalent from a regionally accredited institution, including one of the following:
- 6 semester hours of chemistry and 6 semester hours of biology,
- 12 semester hours of chemistry/biology/medical laboratory technology in any combination, or
- 24 semester hours in medical laboratory technology