Workflow Coordinator (several positions available)
Full-time employment for one full year, from early June to end of June
Abbott Northwestern Hospital and the Allina Central Laboratory
Typical shift hours (one worker per each shift)
- Arrive at 5:00 am and depart at 1:00 pm
- Arrive at 7:00 am and depart at 3:00 pm
- Arrive at 10:00 am and depart at 6:00 pm
The Hospital Pathology Associates (HPA) Workflow Coordinators serve as the primary organizers and distributors of glass slides emanating from the Allina Histology, Cytology, and Hematology laboratories. After receiving the slides, the Workflow Coordinators organize, prioritize, and distribute the cases to pathologists to facilitate an orderly and efficient workflow using “Lean” processing principles. The position involves comprehensive review of electronic medical records and familiarity with medical terminology, as the Workflow Coordinators gather the relevant information a pathologist would need to properly diagnose a case.
- Responsible for receiving, organizing, prioritizing, and distributing cases throughout the workday.
- Identify and retrieve specific clinical information from patients’ charts and outside health care facilities.
- Communicate and problem solve with multiple pathologists and hospital personnel.
- Assist Education Coordinator and Quality Assurance Coordinator as needed.
Prerequisites and required skills:
- 4-year undergraduate degree or 2-year associate’s degree with the intention of applying to graduate or medical school
- Computer literate (specifically with Microsoft Office applications)
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented
- Adapt and respond to problems in an efficient and creative manner
- Ability to multi-task efficiently during periods of high workload and stress
- Initiate changes independently and demonstrate personal accountability
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills