Biopsy Technician (two open positions, one full-time and one part-time)
Full-time, seasonal position from June 2023-June 2024
Part of Allina HealthCare’s Central Laboratory in its Tenth Avenue Facility and is connected to the Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Full-time: Monday – Friday; 1:00 pm – 9:30 pm. Part-time: Monday – Friday; 12:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Pathologists’ Assistant Leads
Who is Hospital Pathology Associates?
Hospital Pathology Associates (HPA) provides pathology services to various healthcare organizations in Minnesota and Wisconsin and is the largest pathology private practice in Minnesota. We have an ensemble of highly skilled, seasoned pathologists and professional staff with a wide range of expertise not often found elsewhere.
Our experienced team of pathologists examines and assesses lab samples to help healthcare providers make a diagnosis and guide treatment. Lab samples, also known as biological specimens, are tissues or bodily fluids gathered during a medical appointment. HPA cares for its patients behind the scenes in our laboratories, and as a biopsy technician, you are an essential member of our patient healthcare team.
The biopsy technician works alongside HPA’s accomplished pathologists’ assistants and other healthcare professionals in the laboratory diagnostic process. As a biopsy technician, you will perform gross examinations of routine pathology specimens. A gross exam is the visual inspection of tissue removed from patients during surgical procedures. It involves describing, measuring, and sometimes manipulating the tissue (using ink or sectioning with a scalpel) before submitting it for histologic processing. Gross examination of pathology specimens is one of the first and most critical parts of the laboratory diagnostic process and an integral part of patient care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform gross examinations of patient tissue specimens under the indirect supervision of a pathologist’s assistant
- Data entry of pathologic data into the electronic medical record
- Assist with the management of surgical specimens, including “flagging” cases for cancer prioritization processing
- A bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science
- Proficient in computer and software technologies
- Strong communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills
- Client-service orientated with a high level of enthusiasm
- Self-motivated, organized, and detailed-oriented
Why Work at Hospital Pathology Associates?
Being part of the HPA team means more than going to work every day – it allows you to have an impact on patient care and the ability to serve our community. At HPA, we strive for a welcoming, united, diverse, and enjoyable work culture that fosters employees’ personal development, health, and wellness.
In addition to having an exciting and impactful career, HPA offers a market-leading benefits package including:
- 100% company-paid medical insurance premiums, including employer-paid Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions to cover your annual medical insurance deductible
- Vision and dental care reimbursement
- Company-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Company-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Paid parking
- Bonus opportunity
Join Our Company!
If you are a good fit for our company, we would love to hear from you! Apply today by submitting the following information:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcript
All applications must be submitted by February 3rd. You will be notified by February 10th if you are selected to interview. If chosen for an interview, applicants are expected to complete an interview on February 25th. The interview will consist of a series of short interviews with pathologists and the current pathology aides. If circumstances allow, we will invite you to come in person to HPA’s Abbott Northwestern Hospital campus in Minneapolis (2800 10th Ave S Suite 2200, Minneapolis, MN 55407) to complete this interview.