Pathology Aide – Operating Room Runner (two open positions)
This position is part of our Pathology Aide Program, which is a full-time, seasonal position from June 2023-June 2024
Part of Allina HealthCare’s Central Laboratory in its Tenth Avenue Facility and is connected to the Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday – Friday; First shift: 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM; Second shift: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Pathology Aide Supervisor
Who is Hospital Pathology Associates?
Hospital Pathology Associates (HPA) provides pathology services to various healthcare organizations in Minnesota and Wisconsin and is the largest pathology private practice in Minnesota. We have an ensemble of highly skilled, seasoned pathologists and professional staff with a wide range of expertise not often found elsewhere.
Our experienced team of pathologists examines and assesses lab samples to help healthcare providers make a diagnosis and guide treatment. Lab samples, also known as biological specimens, are tissues or bodily fluids gathered during a medical appointment. HPA cares for its patients behind the scenes in our laboratories, and as a pathology aide – operating room runner; you are an essential member of our patient healthcare team.
Pathology Aide Program
Several years ago, HPA introduced a new position in their healthcare team to streamline workflow: the pathology aide. The pathology aide is critical in allowing pathologists to focus on diagnosing cases and enhancing patient care.
For recent college graduates aspiring to become physicians or other healthcare professionals, few experiences are more valuable than serving as a pathology aide. Being a pathology aide provides hands-on experience in a medical setting and allows recent graduates to begin a career in medicine. Working alongside accomplished pathologists and other healthcare professionals at HPA offers a unique perspective into the daily responsibilities, and challenges physicians face. As active healthcare team members, pathology aides gain valuable exposure to medicine and positively contribute to a medical facility’s day-to-day operations. In sum, the pathology aide position is a one-year, full-time commitment for aspiring healthcare professionals and is the connection graduates need to gain valuable healthcare experience!
HPA operating room (OR) runners serve a unique role within Allina, specifically at Abbott Northwestern Hospital (ANW). This position provides a rare opportunity to see what happens to surgical specimens after they leave the operating room. OR runners work directly with OR staff and surgeons to promptly pick up and deliver specimens from ORs to the lower-level laboratory at ANW. OR runners communicate directly with surgeons during specimen pick-up, especially when special requests for a patient’s specimen may include an intra-operative consultation with specific questions for the pathologist. OR runners are stationed in the laboratory, giving them unique access to observe pathologists, pathologist assistants, and histology staff working through various cases. Given the variability in specimen delivery requirements, ample time between deliveries provides opportunities to help with special projects for HPA, typically involving data entry and analysis to support quality assurance, process improvement, and research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for accurate and efficient delivery of specimens between operating rooms and Allina laboratory
- Communicate with surgeons and relay messages to pathology staff
- Assists the QA and other pathology aides with projects as needed
- An undergraduate degree with the intent to apply to graduate or medical school
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to keep a detailed and up-to-date project list
- Ability to learn processes quickly and manage time efficiently
Why Work at Hospital Pathology Associates?
Being part of the HPA team means more than going to work every day – it allows you to have an impact on patient care and the ability to serve our community. At HPA, we strive for a welcoming, united, diverse, and enjoyable work culture that fosters employees’ personal development, health, and wellness.
In addition to having an exciting and impactful career, HPA offers a market-leading benefits package including:
- 100% company-paid medical insurance premiums, including employer-paid health savings account (HSA) contributions to cover your annual medical insurance deductible
- Vision and dental care reimbursement
- Company-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Company-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Paid parking
- Bonus opportunity
Join Our Company!
If you are a good fit for our company, we would love to hear from you! Apply today by submitting the following information:
- Cover Letter (please rank your top four preferences for pathology aide positions – education coordinator, quality assurance assistant, workflow coordinator, and operating room runner – from 1 to 4 in a numbered list, then use your cover letter to explain why you should be selected for the position you ranked as #1)
- Unofficial transcript
All applications must be submitted by February 3rd. You will be notified by February 10th if you are selected to interview. If chosen for an interview, applicants are expected to complete an interview on February 25th. The interview will consist of a series of short interviews with pathologists and the current pathology aides. If circumstances allow, we will invite you to come in person to HPA’s Abbott Northwestern Hospital campus in Minneapolis (2800 10th Ave S Suite 2200, Minneapolis, MN 55407) to complete this interview.