Laboratory Technical Assistant (two open positions)
One year, full-time position
Allina HealthCare’s Central Laboratory in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Rotating shifts Monday – Friday between the hours of 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Pathology Aide Supervisor
Who is Hospital Pathology Associates?
Hospital Pathology Associates (HPA) provides pathology services to various healthcare organizations in Minnesota and Wisconsin and is the largest pathology private practice in Minnesota. We have an ensemble of highly skilled, seasoned pathologists and professional staff with a wide range of expertise not often found elsewhere.
Our experienced team of pathologists examines and assesses lab samples to help healthcare providers make a diagnosis and guide treatment. Lab samples, also known as biological specimens, are tissues or bodily fluids gathered during a medical appointment or lab visit. We care for patients like you behind the scenes in our laboratories, and you are an essential member of our patient healthcare team.
The laboratory technical assistant (Lab TA) will perform pre-analytical processes in one or more areas, such as histology, microbiology, and the core laboratory. The Lab TA will collaborate with certified staff and pathologists in confirming & troubleshooting specimen labeling/collection requirements, computer orders and performing accurate and timely surgical sample preparation/staining techniques. The position may also perform tests determined by the CDC and FDA to have little risk of error, commonly known as waived testing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs routine pre-analytic laboratory procedures
- Evaluates the acceptability of specimens
- Processes specimens as required
- Performs routine problem resolution related to orders, specimens, and billing Work closely with certified staff and pathologists to confirm and troubleshoot specimen labeling/collection requirements and computer orders and perform accurate and timely surgical sample preparation/staining techniques
- May perform waived testing
- Ensures patient orders are accurate and complete
- Performs scheduling, ordering, and releasing in patients’ electronic medical records
- Evaluates patient orders for completeness and follows up as needed
- Administrative duties.
- Stocks, rotates, and requests supplies on a regular basis
- Trouble-shoots minor equipment issues
- Performs various clerical duties
- May train others in the assigned work area
- May assist with standard operating procedure development in the assigned work area
- Participates in departmental or system-wide projects or committees as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- High School or GED plus 60 semester hours or the equivalent of college course work from an accredited institution, including:
- 24 semester hours consisting of chemistry, biology, and medical laboratory technology in any combination; or
- 24 semester hours in medical laboratory technology
- HPA will provide lab training for a minimum of three (3) months in each specialty lab area in which highly complex testing is to be performed
Why Work at Hospital Pathology Associates?
Being part of the HPA team means more than going to work every day – it allows you to have an impact on patient care and the ability to serve our community. At HPA, we strive for a welcoming, united, diverse, and enjoyable work culture that fosters employees’ personal development, health, and wellness.
In addition to having an exciting and impactful career, HPA offers a market-leading benefits package including:
- 100% Company-paid medical insurance premiums, including employer-paid Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions to cover your annual medical insurance deductible
- Vision and dental care reimbursement
- Company-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Company paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Paid parking
- Bonus opportunity
Join Our Company!
If you are a good fit for our company, we would love to hear from you! Apply today by submitting a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript illustrating the required coursework.